A large percentage of world's power generation is achieved using steam turbines. The advantage of power generation using steam turbines are:
- The physical properties of steam (used as energy source for the turbines) are predictable at various pressures & temperatures and are constant across the globe.
- The Steam turbine designs are scalable, and can be design to suit any application.
- A Steam turbine separates the energy source and electrical power generation, making it compatible with various sources of fuels as feedstock (Coal, biomass, Municipal Waste), unlike a gas turbine, gas engine, diesel sets etc.
- Combined heat and power can be handled by steam turbines effectively, making it a widely used mode of power generation in process industry.
- Steam turbines catering to the base load operation in modern power systems by virtue of their unique operational characteristics (starting time and reliability).